The Marshall House Inn

Historic rehabilitation and renovation of a two-parcel property once home to the turn-of-the-century concrete contractor, J.A. Marshall, who the Berkeley Herald credited in their 1896 New Year’s issue with having paved ninety percent of Berkeley’s new sidewalks. Much of Marshall’s original “artisanal stonework” adorns the property.

When the Marshall family homes were later converted to an Inn, the buildings and gardens alike braved incremental haphazard additions to accommodate guests. Driven largely by a subtraction strategy, today’s renovation seeks to integrate a revival of the property’s 19th century identity with intensification of its 20th century hospitality function through a 21st century universal access and water-wise sensibility.

Street gardens green the public right-of-way and frame the whole of the property as a secret garden wherein purple spring and autumnal yellow revolve seasonal displays. Historic photographs and plant catalogs inform an historic garden of formal, deep emeralds while the contemporary gardens are a composition of silver and champagne drought-tolerant species.

Location

Berkeley, CA

Size

.75 acres

Completed

In Progress

Client

Amish Patel

Team

Preservation Architecture (Historic Architect)
Charette Design Inc. (Production Architect)
HBA (Interiors + Hospitality Consultation)

Related Projects

Presidio Officer’s Club

Julia Morgan Hall

David & Eliza Glass House Museum

John Muir Gravesite